Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 3TB HDD 6GB/s 7200 RPM HSD723030ALA640 46W0523
We take a look at Hitachi’s flagship consumer drive, the Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 3TB. Key features include a 6.0Gbps SATA III interface, 64MB buffer, and a five-platter design (600GB each).
Aside from its tremendous 3TB capacity, the 7K3000 doesn’t have many remarkable features. The 7K3000 is Hitachi’s first drive to feature a 6.0Gb/s SATA III interface and a 64MB cache buffer. The buffer size generally doesn’t affect performance on a noticeable level unless it is too small; 64MB is the largest we’ve seen on a hard drive excluding the hybrid SSD Seagate Momentus/Barracuda XT drives.
It is interesting that the 7K3000 uses the 512 bytes/sector format instead of the new 4kb sector Advanced Format like so many other new drives are; Hitachi must have had a reason for keeping the age-old standard.
Hitachi claims the 7K3000 is up to 27% faster than its previous-generation Deskstar 7K2000. The company also says the 7K3000 is more power efficient; the 2TB version of the 7K3000 consumes 30% less power at idle compared to the 7K2000.
Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 3TB (HDS723030ALA640) Specs
- Interface: SATA III 6.0Gb/s
- Unformatted Capacity: 3TB (2TB and 1.5TB versions also available)
- Sector size (variable, Bytes/sector): 512kb
- Max areal density (Gbits/sq. in): 411
- Data buffer: 64MB
- Rotational Speed (RPM): 7200
- Media transfer rate (Mbits/sec, max): 1656
- Interface transfer rate (MB/s, max): 600
- Error Rate (non-recoverable, bits read): 1 in 10^14
- Acoustics: Idle (Bels): 2.9
- Height (mm): 26.1
- Weight (g, max): 690
Part numbers: 46W0523, 0F12450, HDS723030ALA640, H3D30006472S, , 89-00203-3TB